Guide 4 Life Harrogate

Anti-social Behaviour

What is anti-social behaviour?

It is behaviour that is generally agreed to be unacceptable by others. It is not only young people that cause anti-social behaviour but people of all ages. Some examples include:

  • Dumping rubbish and misuse of public areas
  • Harassing a person
  • Causing damage to property
  • Riding and cycling on footpaths pedestrians are using
  • Behaving in an aggressive way

What is done about anti-social behaviour?

The YACAB (Youth Action Combating Anti-Social Behaviour) is a system of recording incidents of anti-social behaviour and involves a series of four letters being sent to a young person's parent / guardian explaining their involvement in the anti-social behaviour.

Acceptable Behaviour Contracts

This is when a person enters into an agreement / promise where they agree not to behave in a certain way or not to associate with certain people or to do something positive like attend school or an activity. It is negotiated with the relevant agency and the young person together.

Anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs)

An ASBO is a court order which stops a person from acting in a certain way in a particular area or from visiting an area or address. If the court order is broken then the person will have committed a criminal offence and will be arrested. ASBOs are only necessary when attempts to change a person's behaviour don't work.

Young people can also be victims of anti-social behaviour and you can report this to:

The Police

If it is about criminal damage, drug use, fighting, harassment etc.

Tel: (0845) 6060247 (Non-emergencies)

Harrogate Borough Council

If it relates to issues such as abandoned cars, noise complaints, graffiti damage etc

Tel: (01423) 500600                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Sources of information and advice:

Anti-Social Behaviour Coordinator

Tel: (01423) 556503

This site has a useful bit on the law.


North Yorkshire Police website including a Youth Zone. You can also find out who your local neighbourhood police officer is by following the local policing link. If you need advice relating to the police then you can contact the Youth Action Officer for Harrogate on 01423 539446 or contact your local youth worker.


Information for young people about the law and crime.


Click on the 'S' in the A-Z of services and see the 'Sorted, Guide to Young People and the Law'.


Go to 'Crime and Justice'.
In an emergency always call 999